Saturday, January 26, 2008

My Food Storage Shopping List

I have a list of things that I like to keep on hand for the foods that we eat on a regular basis. I have lots of different options, and decided to include them all for the sake of brainstorming.

My three-month supply for cooking includes the following:

Breakfast foods:
  • Oats and oat grouts
  • Cold cereal (I try to buy only on sale, and our goal is to eat less for cost's sake)
  • Baking ingredients (for quick breads, raised breads, waffles and pancakes, etc.)
  • Eggs (I hear they can be frozen...still have yet to experiment with that; I expect that would work better for baking) - but they still keep for weeks in the fridge
  • Pancake mix
  • Cocoa mix
  • Nuts (for granola, protein kick for the morning, smoothies)
  • Frozen hash browns
  • Bacon bits (I freeze them)
  • Shredded cheeses (freeze well)
  • Cream cheese (keeps for months in the fridge)
  • Yogurt cultures (I have a yogurt maker)
  • Peanut butter, jams and other bread spreads
  • Frozen, dried and canned fruits
  • Bottles of juices and/or frozen juice concentrates
  • Nuts
Ingredients for Lunch and Dinner Foods:
  • Rice (for a shorter-term supply, you can store brown as well as white rice)
  • Pasta (shaped pastas, spaghetti, lasagna)
  • Other grains for nutrition and variety (I'm experimenting with quinoa right now)
  • Lunch meats (I buy in bulk and then wrap and freeze individual slices to help them last longer, and for convenience and food safety for school lunches)
  • Bread spreads (see above)
  • Tuna
  • Mayo, mustard, catsup
  • Tortillas (my goal is to get myself making these from scratch)
  • Canned beans (I like kidney and black) (I sometimes will use pureed white beans in baking or sauces to hide fiber and nutrition in our meals and treats)
  • Dehydrated (or canned) refried beans (cannery refried beans are awesome!)
  • Pasta sauces (jars and mixes -- our favorite mixes are pesto and alfredo envelopes)
  • Canned tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, tomato soup (I've started using the latter in place of sauce or paste in recipes)
  • Canned pineapple and mandarin oranges
  • Frozen (and sometimes dried) veggies (all sorts)
  • Canned evaporated milk
  • Cream soups (I use cream of chicken the most)
  • Cheese (I like to buy shredded cheese in bulk and freeze in smaller bags) -- mozzarella and cheddar or cheddar/jack
  • Cream cheese (stores for months in fridge)
  • Canned meats (frozen works, too, but I prefer the ease and small portions of the cans) -- Cannery meats are great
  • Ingredients to make bread (flour, wheat, yeast, oil, salt, sugar, powdered milk)
  • Boxed mixes (e.g., mac-n-cheese, Rice-a-Roni and Pasta Roni)
  • Packaged flavorings/seasonings (Italian, Mexican, Chinese...these add so much variety to my basics!) -- these in addition to my basic spices that I get in bulk (taco seasoning, garlic seasoning (my favorite is Johnny's from Costco), cinnamon)
  • Other spices (curry, pumpkin pie spice, Italian seasoning, etc.)
  • Canned soups/soup mixes
  • Bullion and/or canned broths
  • Dried minced onion
  • Green chiles
  • BBQ sauce

5 comments:

Holli said...

Thanks for the help! I love your ideas.

KelliSue Kolz said...

I've linked to your site from my blog at www.kellikolz.blogspot.com

Come and see what's Simmering over the Kolz.

Elizabeth said...

Lots of great ideas, thanks! Everything I've read says you can't freeze eggs, they get rubbery. But you can freeze the carton of eggs (egg beaters). Hope that helps!

Valli said...

Freezing eggs works well as long as they are separated; yolks in one bag, whites in another. Each should contain a bit of salt or sugar. Thanks for the great list.

earleen said...

I hear if you mix the egg (white and yolk) that it will freeze well